[NIFL-FOBASICS:220] Literacy for Life

From: GEORGE E. DEMETRION (gdemetrion@juno.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 19:55:12 EST

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:55:12 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "GEORGE E. DEMETRION" <gdemetrion@juno.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:220] Literacy for Life

Greetings:

On the NLA listserv and in other places, I have been disseminating the
following brief article that I will also place in a local newspaper.  I
draw on the Literacy for Life thesis  from Fingeret and Drennon's 1997
text, "Literacy for Life: Adult Learners:  New Practices."   Perhaps the
article raises issues for folks that merit comment here.  Then again,
perhaps not.  If so, I'm willing to listen and engage in discussion with
others.

George Demetrion
LVA-Connecticut River East
GDemetrion@juno.com

 I appended the following note to the article on the NLA post:

"The following is an article I will be soon placing in a local newspaper.

As the Literacy Summit is soon upon us, I would like to include it here
"for the record" as Summitteers begin their work. This article represents
part of a broader effort on my part to encourage a vision that embraces
the concept of Literacy for Life-- or "continuous learning" as Linda
Hoover puts it, that includes, but extends beyond the social roles into
the realm of personal identity-- an important aspect of any coherent
broader cultural identity within the U.S.  Without the self engaged there
can be no meaningful literacy.  Self-enhancement, I argue, is a viable
outcome in itself and merits as much validity as other more "public"
outcomes.  As a cultural product, the "self" is as much a public as a
"merely" private manifestation of identity

My thanks to Tom Sticht for sharing his latest research which has helped
me to formulate this article."

Literacy for Life
George Demetrion
Executive Director
Literacy Volunteers of America-Connecticut River East

"You are going to teach; but as you teach, you are going to learn much
more than you can possibly teach, and in the end, you will feel as
grateful to your students as those students feel to you for the dignity
that you created together."

Jonathan Kozol
Illiterate America

According to national literacy researcher Thomas Sticht, over 4.2 million
adults nationwide participated in adult basic education programs in 1998.
 In that same year, Sticht goes on to state, "the K-12 system served some
46.8 million enrollees while the post-secondary, higher education system
enrolled about 14.6 million."  Sticht's point is that as indicated by the
number of enrollees, adult basic education is far from a marginal aspect
of this nation's total education system.  In drawing our attention to
these numbers, Sticht's intent is to move adult basic education from the
margins to the mainstream in the public's eye.  As a veteran adult
literacy educator, I heartily embrace Sticht's vision.

 Individuals participate in adult literacy programs for many important
reasons.  Most desire general language (reading, writing, speaking,
listening, critical thinking) development.  In an increasingly
print-based society that depends on effective communication, this is
clearly a valuable goal in itself.  Closely related in importance among
students is the sense of confidence and personal dignity, self-esteem,
and enhanced competency adults experience as they expand their language
communication skills.  Although hard to measure, this somewhat intangible
impact cannot be overestimated.  As one study puts it:

"Students do not necessarily have a concrete goal in mind, an
instrumental view of literacy tied to some specific task or aspiration.
More than anything, they want to feel that there are possibilities for
the future, that there are choices and potential for change."

Current research on literacy states that language development is most
fully acquired when it is learned through living contexts that people
identify as important. This becomes more the case after students have
participated for some time, and obtain a better sense of what they might
learn and the length of time required.  Thus, instead of learning to read
and write or speak and understand English first, say through workbook
exercises, one develops such skills through direct application in
real-life situations and interests.  This may be through interesting
stories in the newspaper, a church bulletin, correspondence from a
child's school, work related instructions, the TV Guide, stories from
other adult literacy learners, as well as short fiction and other
culturally-derived material.  In programs like Literacy Volunteers of
America-Connecticut River East (LVA-CRE) students and tutors work on long
range planning and goal setting to help connect specific learning with
broader life projects.   Our student-centered approach not only makes
learning fun and interesting for the student and the tutor, but makes it
relevant to the lives of adult students that fuels the motivation to stay
engaged in learning for the year or more that it often takes to make
significant progress.

Let's look at one student, we'll call Ed, who entered a literacy program
with very limited reading skills.  Ed was motivated by practical
concerns.  As he put it, "what I need now is filling out applications,
stuff like that."  With help from his tutor he learned to fill out money
orders and how to pay his rent and insurance.  He drove, but couldn't
read signs, so he limited his driving only to known areas.  So-called
friends that he depended upon to write money orders kept the money for
themselves.  What troubled Ed most about not being able to read was
feeling trapped in situations over which he had no control.  As he put
it:

"I thought about it, but you're not comfortable with it.  You know you
have limitations to what you can do.  So, I'm stuck.  It's not like I can
go out there and get a job doing something else because I don't have the
ability for it.  So you have to settle for what you can get, most of the
time."

Things were not easy for Ed.  He felt shame in asking his girlfriend for
help.  Certain coworkers referred to Ed as mentally retarded because he
could not read.  Ed's need to bolster a precarious self-esteem was
perhaps nowhere more poignantly stated than in the following sentence:
"I live by myself, so I have to be motivated because I don't have anybody
to do anything for me."

As Ed participated in the program he was able to master some of these
areas through the caring support of his sensitive tutor, Jane, one of the
unsung heroines of our field. He also learned to read by studying stories
of other students in the program and became inspired. As he said it:

"It motivates you, you know?  It makes you want to keep going to learn
something for yourself.  Sometimes you don't think you can learn until
you see other people do it.  So that motivates you a little bit.  Well, a
lot, I might say, a lot."

Ed's progress has been slow.  He has made good progress, but still needs
a lot of help with his reading and may never gain total fluency.  Still,
he is learning and applying what he has learned in his personal life, at
work, and particularly in the adult literacy community where he is still
active.  His confidence has improved a great deal which gives him courage
to face new challenges.

Sondra Stein of the National Institute for Literacy points out the
importance of  "literacy for life" rather than for any single purpose.
She says "while the specific tasks, roles and responsibilities vary from
context to context adults seek to develop literacy in order to change
what they can do, how they are perceived and how they perceive themselves
in specific social and cultural contexts."  For Ed, the change has been
slow rather than dramatic, but profound on the cumulative impact of his
life.

Ed's story is paralleled by another student, Pat, who grew up in the
Canadian backwoods.  Pat, who never learned to read either in his native
French or English, started to learn to read for the first time in his
40s.  The following describes in a more compelling way than anything I
ever could the impact of literacy on Pat's life:

"Now if I go into a restaurant, I don't have to pretend I'm reading the
menu; I really read it.  My wife used to read it to me.  I hated when
people were with us or around us because they know that I can't read and
may think that I am a dummy.  But now I can order my food myself."

As stated by Hanna Fingeret at the conclusion of her massive study of
students at Literacy Volunteers of America-New York City, "The impact [of
literacy] is profound, touching every aspect of their lives."  In short,
literacy is for life.  It opens doors in many different ways for
individuals in family, community, and workplace settings and has an
incalculable impact on self-esteem. It is for this reason that we at
LVA-CRE embrace Tom Sticht's vision of moving adult literacy from the
margins to the mainstream.