[NIFL-FOBASICS:209] Re: Cooperative Learning versus Cheating

From: Joyce O Sundstrom (norwoodga@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 11:15:05 EST

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:15:05 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Joyce O Sundstrom <norwoodga@juno.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:209] Re: Cooperative Learning versus Cheating

Hello,
Most of us have been in education for an extended period of time.  With
that statement, I ask the following question.  When does cooperative
learning end and cheating begin?  Please when you respond please state
the
number of years you have been in education and what levels you teach.
Thanks

	LOL, When cooperative learning ends and cheating begins is when you
begin allowing other areas of learning (other than cooperative learning
projects) to be helped out with like homework (self-punishing) and test
taking (teacher has to be on the ball).  Cooperative learning is a form
of socialization and hopefully modeling of character where students learn
to work together in groups cooperatively.  The idea is not to grade
necessarily the individual students but to create better learning or
therapeutic environments for students.

	I feel cooperative learning is good; however, it must be given much more
oversight than is presently given to students.  What usually occurs is a
control of the milder, less confident one or two students by other, more
forceful students who instead of imparting character impart  more
authoritarian rule which tends to stigmatize and isolate students who are
already vulnerable to social distress.

learning theory first.  I feel you are looking to weigh my theory
according to your view of my status rather than the material in my
theory.