[NIFL-FOBASICS:1516] RE:Small groups for students that have low reading skills

From: Angela Childers (angela_r25@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 15:24:38 EDT

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:24:38 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Angela Childers <angela_r25@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1516] RE:Small groups for students that have low reading skills

Howard and Everyone else,
(This post is a two prater)  :)

We are trying to put together a small group for native
English speakers. I am not really involved with the
ESL students as much. However, we are in transition of
forming transitional class for our ESL students. We
have to groups of ESL transitional students those who
are going to ABE class and then go on to get their
GED. We also have those who don't need a GED but do
need to transition in to college.  Currently the high
level ESL students go to volunteer classes for
conversation and writing skills. There is such a long
waiting list that we don't have the room or staff to
accommodate all the classes that need to exist. (I am
sure you all know how that goes.)

TO EVERYONE

We have so many native speakers that are not ready for
the ABE class room that we have a long waiting list.
Once the student gets in class they are in a class
that is one day a week for 2 hours. If we create the
small group class it maybe that they never meet
one-on-one with a tutor. I am not to happy with that
idea. I am really thinking that each students needs
one-one- one time and a small group class in order to
progress successfully. Does anyone know of any way to
suggest this same idea from a research based
prospective. Or am I thinking wrong that they would
still need one on - one after the reach a 2.5 to a 4
on TABE? I guess I am wanting to know how to build a
class that is going to have quality results rather
than quantity. Thanks so much for those of you that
have already responded to me original post. It has
been helpful. I hope to hear from more of you.

Thanks a bunch,

Angela Childers

http://mail.yahoo.com