[NIFL-FOBASICS:1514] Re: Small groups for students that have low

From: Woods (woodsnh@isp.com)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 23:38:32 EDT

Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:38:32 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Woods <woodsnh@isp.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1514] Re: Small groups for students that have low

Angela Childers wrote:
>  I am looking for advice and resource for small group
> adult reading sessions.

Hi Angela and others,
One of my favorite reading activities that is very effective in
strengthening reading comprehension is sometimes called "Quest/Request"
and you can do it with one other individual or paired individuals or in
a round robin with a small group. Here is how it works.

Everyone reads a short paragraph silently. Then one person starts by
asking a question about something that was in the passage. Others try to
answer it, looking back in the passage to find the answer if necessary.
Then the next person asks a question, and the next and the next and so
on, until no one can think of any more questions to ask.

You can get into different kinds of questions such as those of a
graphophonic nature (e.g. How many sentences? How many five letter
words? How many words that end in "tion?") or questions about the
meaning of the passage, or you could highlight explicit questions or
implicit questions.

The goal is to ask as many questions as possible. It is less important
that the questions be answered than it is to simply ask them. It should
not be a competition between students, but a group might wish to
compete against its old record by increasing the number of questions it
is able to ask about a passage. I've done it with my adult students and
have filled a page writing down the questions we asked about a simple
100 word paragraph. Once we had asked more questions than there were
words in the paragraph.

There are many things at work here. One is it encourages an active,
rather than a passive reading style. Another is it gets students to
reread the same text many times, thereby developing fluency. Another
benefit, I feel, is it forces the reader to rework the meaning of the
passage into new forms, statements into questions, for example. This
seems to have a powerful effect on one's ability to remember the content
and comprehend the meaning of a passage.

Tom Woods
Community High School of Vermont