[NIFL-FOBASICS:1513] Re: Small groups for students that have low reading skills

From: DonMcCabe@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 18:51:01 EDT

Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 18:51:01 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: DonMcCabe@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1513] Re: Small groups for students that have low reading skills

In a message dated 10/6/2005 6:17:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
angela_r25@yahoo.com writes:
"...We have a number of students
that range  from the 2.5-to 4.o level on TABE. We want
to help these students raise their  reading scores in
order to handle the reading in an ABE class..."

I believe that you will find that 3 out of every 4 words your students
cannot read contain spelling patterns that are neither taught nor encountered on  a
regular basis in grades one through three.  Conversely, 3 out of every 4
words that contain these spelling patterns, your students cannot read.

I do recommend that you  visit:
***http://www.spelling.org/Research/spelling_research.htm***
(Copy and paste between the asterisks)
and make sure you also click on the link for "Read by Grade Three?   Say
What?" which will take you to:
***http://www.spelling.org/Research/read_by_grade_three.htm***

If you're interested in the methods that I have used helping them learn
these patterns, read The Teaching of Reading & Spelling: a Continuum from
Kindergarten through College.  It's free and it's up on the spelling.org  website.
Just click on FREEBIES at the top of any of the web pages.

Don McCabe

Don McCabe