[NIFL-FOBASICS:1505] New CAELA brief - applying research findings to Instruction

From: Miriam Burt (miriam@cal.org)
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 16:13:38 EDT

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:13:38 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Miriam Burt" <miriam@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1505] New CAELA brief - applying research findings to Instruction

 Hello everyone:

Teachers of adult English language learners, like many teachers today,
have heard about the need to apply the latest research strategies to
their instruction. How can they do this?

I'm happy to announce that there is a new brief that addresses this
question that is available on CAELA's Website at
http://www.cal.org/caela/esl_resources/briefs/research.html. The brief,
written by Cristine Smith, Kathryn Harris, and Steve Reder of the
National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy, is titled
"Applying Research Findings to Instruction for Adult English Language
Students."
This article describes why research is important to the instruction of
adult English language learners, defines scientifically based research
and evidence-based instruction, explains what we know about how to help
teachers use research, gives an example of teachers using research to
improve their practice, and lists places where research-based resources
can be accessed.

Miriam
Miriam Burt
Center for Adult English Language Acquisition (CAELA) Center for Applied
Linguistics (CAL)
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, DC 20016
(202) 362-0700