[NIFL-FOBASICS:1479] RE: Expertise in Low Literacy

From: Andres Muro (AndresM@epcc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 13:20:13 EDT

Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:20:13 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Andres Muro" <AndresM@epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1479] RE: Expertise in Low Literacy

What about telling them that they have knowledge. Recently we published
a book of stories and poems written by migrant workers. We have some of
the stories in a website. The purpose was, among other things, to learn
about their experience from them. They had knowledge that we didn't have
that allowed them to write the stories that they did. This is very
Freirian.

Most of the stories are in Spanish and we are working on translating
them to English so that we can put them all up in the website. Anyways,
here is the address:

http://bordersenses.com/memorias/

Andres

>>> lalumineuse@yahoo.com 9/2/2005 8:34:25 AM >>>
Good point Andres...I prefer calling it knowlegde..
but would learners see it as knowledge? I've found
that learners often devalue what they know because it
does not 'fit' the 'norm' of what is 'sold' as
'knowledge'. So, how do we value or 'teach' learners
to see what they have as knowledge?
Ujwala