[NIFL-FOBASICS:1474] "Expert" ABE students

From: Michele Anne Craig (shellcraig@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 19:10:53 EDT

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 19:10:53 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Michele Anne Craig" <shellcraig@ix.netcom.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1474] "Expert" ABE students

One area of expertise I have seen among my ABE students is an aptitude for
mechanical things and how machinery is put together. At any given time I
have one student who works as a deisel mechanic or fixes farm machinery or
works in fabrication. They are definitely experts at this and make a lot of
money for this expertise. We live in an agricultural area where these jobs
are common. Another expertise is long-haul truck driving for this area. I
also have a friend who would be considered an ABE student (she can't read
very well) who is an expert knitter. Because she cannot read the knitting
patterns, she has learned to knit from watching others and making it up as
she goes along. Again, this is an expertise I wish I had.

I think that many people with reading problems have to compensate by
learning with their hands and bodies rather than with their visual
processing system. I would venture that  you might also find excellent
athletes, dancers, and others who use their bodies to make a living, who
have learning disabilities.

Michele Craig
Woodland Adult School