[NIFL-FOBASICS:1426] Re: GED and postsecondary

From: David Rosen (djrosen@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 10:28:06 EDT

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:28:06 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: David Rosen <djrosen@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1426] Re: GED and postsecondary

Jackie,

Here's a partial answer to your questions:

On Aug 11, 2005, at 9:24 AM, jataylor wrote:

> Does anyone know how many GED students go on to participate in some
> amount of
> postsecondary? Do we also know how many complete a 2 year degree,
> and how many
> complete a 4 year degree?
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Jackie Taylor
> jataylor@utk.edu

 From  "Is the GED Valuable to Those Who Pass it?" Focus on Policy.
Alice Johnson Cain (FOP, Volume 1, Issue 1, April 2003) :  http://
www.ncsall.net/?id=648

"Finding #3:  Since few GED holders go on to postsecondary education,
few benefit from the advantages associated with further education and
training, but the gains resulting from postsecondary education and
training are as great for GED holders as they are for high school
graduates.

The acquisition of a GED leads to a greater probability of obtaining
postsecondary education or training, and wages increase for GED
holders who pursue further education. However, only 12 percent of
male GED holders complete at least one year of college, only three
percent obtain an Associate's Degree, and only 18 percent obtain any
on-the-job training."*

* Murnane, R.J., Willett, J.B., and Boudett, K.P., (1999). Do male
dropouts benefit from obtaining a GED, postsecondary education, and
training?  Evaluation Review 22, no. 5: 475-502.

David J. Rosen
djrosen@comcast.net