[NIFL-FOBASICS:1419] Professional Development Policies

From: jataylor (jataylor@utk.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 17:05:36 EDT

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 17:05:36 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: jataylor <jataylor@utk.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1419] Professional Development Policies

Colleagues:
The Association of Adult Literacy Professional Developers (AALPD) invites your
feedback on a _draft_ platform of professional development (PD) policies that
would best support teachers to access and benefit from professional
development. This platform will constitute a vision for professional
development for which we hope the field will advocate.

Once in final form, these PD policies should improve professional development
for our field. For instance, when WIA legislation passes, states will be
developing new, multi-year state adult education plans. The National Adult
Education Professional Development Consortium (NAEPDC) will use a final
version of these policy recommendations at their November 2005 meeting in
Denver to introduce State ABE Directors to policies that could improve their
state professional development systems. Several of these PD policies, if
adopted, would advance The National Literacy Summit 2000 Action Agenda (see
the PD Policy Matrix).

Draft Policies:
http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php?title=PDPolicyUpdate7-29-05

PD Policy Matrix:
http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/PDPolicyMatrix
(To print the Matrix, it may be helpful to use the "landscape" print option.)

We ask that individuals and organizations offer feedback on these draft
policies by _September 14, 2005_. If you have additional references or real
examples for the PD Policy Matrix, we would be glad to consider including
them.

To submit revisions:
Email Jackie Taylor at: <jataylor@utk.edu> or add your feedback to this ALE
Wiki page:
http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php?title=AddingToThePDPolicyMatrix

Please consider these policies carefully over the next few weeks, and add your
voice in shaping this important national policy initiative.

For the Association of Adult Literacy Professional Developers,

Jackie Taylor, Vice-Chair, AALPD, jataylor@utk.edu
http://www.aalpd.org/