[NIFL-FOBASICS:1347] Re: Does the GED really mean more money?

From: Woods (woods@ncia.net)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 02:33:51 EST

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:33:51 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Woods" <woods@ncia.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1347] Re: Does the GED really mean more money?

I think the GED represents a certain level of knowledge, but it does not
describe the quality of one's education. All it says is that a person knew
X, Y, and Z and was able to provide it in a multiple choice format. it on a
test. In the same way, a high school diploma could represent the attainment
of some body of knowledge, yet not say anything about the quality of one's
education.

This discussion about the pros and cons of GEDs and diplomas occurs
continually among teachers and students in my school. A GED is sometimes
viewed by students as the expedient pragmatic way to get something tangible
to indicate a certain level of knowledge that may help them find a job or
get into a college. If you're looking at your options and you left school in
the 8th grade and you have no credits at all toward a diploma, getting a GED
is going to look a whole lot more doable than getting a diploma. A GED is
viewed by some teachers as being a stepping stone and a motivator. It's
something a student wants and preparing for it is a way to get the student
into the classroom where he or she may be introduced to broader ideas about
learning and education.

Many students and teachers feel a GED is less than ideal, that it is almost
a mark upon the person who has it, that it represents the status of not
having been able to complete "real" school and obtain a "real" diploma. An
even more radical viewpoint is that the GED is a brand that excludes a class
of people from the free and appropriate public education that should be a
right. The thinking goes something like this: if something happens and you
have to leave school, or you get in trouble and you get kicked out of
school, or you just don't like it and you choose to quit school, then you've
blown your chance to get a diploma. You can work in ABE and get something
that is called an equivalent, but it's not the same. It's just a test, not a
rich full education. For the rest of your life, you will wear that GED. If
anybody asks if you have a diploma, you will have to answer, no, but I have
a GED.

I see the tests as certainly being rigorous despite their somewhat tarnished
in reputation. Students ask me which is better and I always waver. It
depends on what you want, I tell them. If you want to get into the community
college, a GED is sufficient to get you there (it may not keep you there
though). If you want a specific job that requires a diploma or a GED, why
not go the easiest route? If you want something that is more widely
respected, maybe a diploma is the better way.

Whatever the student wants is what I will help the student try to get. At
the same time I will use every trick I know to hook the student on the joy
of learning and to suggest to the student that maybe he or she should aim
higher. Usually what happens is the student eventually takes on both a GED
and a diploma. I'm always telling my students, the GED is not an end point.
It's a starting point. For that matter, so is a diploma.

Tom Woods
Community High School of Vermont