[NIFL-FOBASICS:1336] Re: Fear of Finishing

From: Cindy Ferguson (fergusonc@cravencc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 09:41:04 EST

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:41:04 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Cindy Ferguson" <fergusonc@cravencc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1336] Re: Fear of Finishing

Thanks for all the responses and links.  It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has had this same thought!
Cindy

www.cravencc.edu
Cindy Ferguson
ABE/GED Coordinator
Craven Community College
800 College Court
New Bern, NC  28562
252-638-1587
fergusoc@cravencc.edu

>>> reders@pdx.edu 03/24/05 05:44PM >>>
Cindy, Terrence, Ujwala and everyone,
  Barb Garner has forwarded your recent messages.  I'm sorry it's hard to
reach me this year while I'm away, I just haven't been following email as
closely as I normally do.
  On my sabbatical, I'm trying to write up findings from our ongoing
Longitudinal Study of Adult Learning (LSAL).  I'm not sure how helpful I can
be in answering Cindy's very interesting question, but I'll tell you what we
know so far.
  Let me start with just a bit of background information about LSAL. LSAL is
a NCSALL project that has been closely following a population of high school
dropouts over a long period of time (6 years so far).  Many have
participated in ABE/GED programs, many others have not.  Many of those who
have not gone to programs have still worked independently to try to improve
their basic skills and prepare for the GED.  Overall, about 25% have already
received their GED, and many more have passed some but not yet all of the
tests.
  Within the population LSAL is following, we see a fragmented pattern of
participation in programs and GED test-taking.  Over time, some students
move from one program to another, take some tests, maybe wait a while, then
take more tests.  From the vantage point of a single program, some students
may seem to "disappear" as Cindy describes even though they actually
continue to work towards the GED on their own or through another program.
  At the same time, we know from interviews that some adults do have fears
related to the GED, as Cindy suspects.  We have heard a variety of fears
described.  Some have to do with test-taking in general, fear of failing,
and so forth.  Some of these are associated with particular subjects/tests
such as math or writing.  Some people are fearful of failing (to pass a
test), and others are indeed, as Cindy mentioned, fearful of succeeding
because of uncertainties about what follows next.
  I believe others have written about techniques for helping adult learners
deal with fears about particular subject matter like math and writing.
Others on the list may have specific recommendations.  With respect to
helping learners deal with more diffuse fears of failing or of succeeding, I
would be interested in what others have to say or suggest.  It does seem
that connecting counseling and advising services with basic skills
instruction is an important direction for our field.
  Hope this helps a bit.  We'll announce LSAL publications here as they
become available.
-Steve Reder