[NIFL-FOBASICS:1305] RE: New Instructor Training Materials

From: Robin Millar (r.millar@uwinnipeg.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 09:44:18 EST

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:44:18 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Robin Millar" <r.millar@uwinnipeg.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1305] RE: New Instructor Training Materials

Hi, Katrina.  I know what you mean about training new folks.  We have
also created at DVD and DVD Guide to help people with some scenarios as
they start out.  The DVD is also available from the Centre for Education
and Work.

Dr. Robin Millar
Executive Director
Centre for Education and Work
515 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E9
204-786-9395

>>> khinson@future-gate.com 2/22/2005 1:41:48 PM >>>
Unfortunately this is not a viable option for alot of our instructors
-
especially those who work full time during the day and  teach part
time
at night. They are often completely left out of the loop - as are off
site day time instructors who may find themselves in very rural parts
of
the 3 county region our school services - with limited resources and
limited contact with people that might have answers to questions that
arise at a moments notice. Job shadowing is used sometimes but rarely
by
admins here although it is something that has been recommended to
them.

Katrina

>>> achampagne@stcharles.k12.la.us 02/22/05 11:21 AM >>>
It is my opinion that the best way to train new instructors is to have
them "job shadow" a master teacher. The training manual, then, becomes
just a supplement to what the new instructor has already learned and
seen in action.

Alice Champagne
St.Charles Parish Adult Education; Louisiana