[NIFL-FOBASICS:642] Re: Response to "Trauma and Adult Learning"

From: RoyceSJ@netscape.net
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 15:56:13 EST

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:56:13 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: RoyceSJ@netscape.net
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:642] Re: Response to "Trauma and Adult Learning"

Art, Anne, Laurel and colleagues:

In the longitudinal study of 70 former ABLE participants I conducted, successful program graduates discussed the abuse they encountered prior to entering ABLE programs. They talked about the bond they formed with teachers who believed in them and how this belief changed their image of themselves and ultimately their lives and the lives of those around them.

They had to feel worthy before they were ready to learn.  All the research on the best methods of teaching reading, math, parenting or work skills don't amount to a hill of beans without the personal bond between adult tutor/teacher and adult learner.

Have we as practitioners become so insecure and afraid for our funding that we let those who do not teach but set rules of accountability determine what is best for our students?

In addition to our own experience, there are anecdotal accounts from adult students about the primary importance of the classroom environment and the modeling of positive attitudes.

 Most of all, I am tired of money being taken from programs teaching adult learners and funneled to institutions studying how to teach students and measuring whether these students are really learning? Enough is enough.   Let's hear from some of the practitioners out there!

Sherry Royce
sjroyce@comcast.net