[NIFL-FOBASICS:524] Susan Green

From: Barbara Garner (barbara_garner@jsi.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 10:32:10 EST

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:32:10 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <barbara_garner@jsi.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:524] Susan Green

Below you will read a message from the staff of the National Institute
for Literacy about the death of Susan Green. I can not simply forward
this message, because Susan was a dear friend. She loved good writing,
she loved literacy, she loved to laugh. Her spirit lives on through the
amazing numbers of us whom she touched on such a personal level. When we
do good work in the literacy arena, we honor her.
Barb Garner
******************
Dear Friends of Susan Green,

It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Susan
Green,
writer and editor at the Institute and long-time advocate for literacy,
on
February 25th.  Susan's career included nearly a decade at the
National
Institute for Literacy, 12 years with the Follow Through early
literacy
program at the U.S. Department of Education, and four years at the
White
House as First Lady Barbara Bush's literacy expert.  Mrs. Bush said of
Susan:

"Susan Green was one of my mentors in literacy.  She was there with me
in
the beginning, when few people were really paying attention to
literacy.
She was passionate about it, and would have personally taught every
single
man, woman, and child in America how to read if she could have.  She
was a
dear friend, a warm and loving person. She will be missed by me and all
who
knew her."

A Susan Green Memorial Fund is being established to benefit at VALUE
(Voice
of Adult Literacy United for Education).  Susan was a central and
irreplaceable part of the National Institute for Literacy, and is
deeply
missed.

-- The Staff of the National Institute for Literacy