[NIFL-FOBASICS:494] Re: New Topics

From: Anne Murr (anne.murr@DRAKE.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 17:14:10 EST

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:14:10 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Anne Murr <anne.murr@DRAKE.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:494] Re: New Topics

Another topic I would like to see addressed is emotional blocks to learning.

A tutor just communicated this to me:
"I believe that emotional barriers that learning adults bring to
their tutoring sessions should be dealt with separately from the
instruction itself. Tutors largely are not equipped to deal with
these issues. While the way a student feels about his/her disability
cannot be separated from his/her instruction, I don't believe it can
be largely within the mission of a tutor to deal with the former."

He's right.  But literacy programs do need to find ways to address
emotional blocks to learning.

Replacing the "I'm dumb", "I guess I wasn't meant to read",  "I'll
never get this", messages and thoughts adults bring to the current
learning situation is not an easy process.  Most students have had
emotionally damaging experiences in school because of their reading
failure.  Children, and sometimes teachers, can be cruel. It's not
their fault they couldn't learn to read, but they believe it is.  The
emotional effects of  learning failure does affect a student's
ability to learn now.

How best can we help the student make changes to support their
current learning?

Anne

--
Anne Murr, Coordinator