[NIFL-FOBASICS:483] RE: more on topics

From: Bennett, Gina (BENNETT@cotr.bc.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 11:17:58 EST

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:17:58 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Bennett, Gina" <BENNETT@cotr.bc.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:483] RE: more on topics

Barbara,

I would be especially interested in the following topics for FOB:

Persistence/Retention: what strategies help learners to stay with a program?
What can instructors & administrators do to encourage learners to stay with
it longer? And what difference does it make??? (I realize that there is some
research to indicate that simply "staying with" a program does not
necessarily translate into educational gains for the learner)

Digital Divide: how is the need for basic technical skills changing our
lives & the lives of our students? What skill set constitutes "technical
literacy"? What new or innovative programs help to bridge the gap between
technology haves & have-nots?

Working with Marginalized Groups: how do we work with aboriginal/First
Nations/Native American groups & other marginalized communities? I am
interested not only in those programs which empower members of marginalized
groups to join the mainstream (if they so choose) but also strategies &
attitudes which support marginalized groups to define & achieve their own
literacies.

Gina Bennett
College of the Rockies
Cranbrook, BC Canada