Date:         Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:48:59 -0600
Sender:       Information for the USPHS Therapist Category
From:         "O'Neill-Manrique, Kathleen (TCRHCC)"
Subject:      HCW Influenza Vaccination
Comments: To: "Bacilio,Maria" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Barrett,Christopher" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Cowher, James (TCRHCC)" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Engelman,David" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Figueroa, Liza (IHS/PHXPIMC)" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Henry,Doug" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Kennedy,Joseph" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Siegel,Karen" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Smith,Dan" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Tanzillo, Jodi (IHS/NAVCHC)" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Vu,Kieu-Phuong" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Werito, Barbara (IHS/NAVGIMC)" <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Westman,Delana" <[log in to unmask]>

Therapy Category CAPT Siegel would like the Therapy Category to participate in problem solving strategies related to increasing influenza rates for healthcare workers. Please forward your comments to me by COB 7/8 and I will forward to CAPT Siegel. http://www.nfid.org/pdf/publications/fluhealthcarecta08.pdf Thank you Kathleen ________________________________ From: Romano, Carol (HHS/OPHS) Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 3:09 PM To: Barror, Richard F. (FDA); Halliday, Christopher (IHS/HQE); Huy, Janice M. (CDC/NIOSH/OD); Mainzer, Hugh (CDC/CCEHIP/NCEH); Milner, Michael R (HHS/OPHS); Mishoe, Helena (NIH/NHLBI) [E]; Pittman, Robert E. (IHS/HQE); Romano, Carol (HHS/OPHS); Rutstein, David (HHS/OPHS); Shepherd, Craig (CDC/CCEHIP/NCEH); Siegel, Karen (AHRQ/COE) Cc: Williams, Robert C (HHS/OPHS); Galson, Steven (HHS/OPHS); 'Berkhousen, Katherine'; 'Poindexter, Michelle'; Myers, Rosa (HHS/OPHS); Strikas, Raymond (PSC/) Subject: FW: HCW Influenza Vaccination CPOs, OPHS is soliciting ideas for raising awareness and encourage vaccination among health care workers. Can you ask your PACs to consider ways to increase the influenza vaccination rates. While this is required for basic readiness for officers, we have many civilian partners who may need to be encouraged not only in government but also in the private sector. Please send other ideas you have for increasing awareness in the health community to CAPT Rosa Myers and CAPT Ray Strikas as they develop the implementation plan for 2008-2009 to improve our rates nationally for health care workers.. Thank you for your support! Carol A. Romano PhD, RN, FAAN Assistant Surgeon General Acting Chief of Staff, OSG Chief Nurse Officer, USPHS Subject: HCW Influenza Vaccination All, CAPT Rosa Myers and CAPT Ray Strikas have been leading an initiative for OPHS to increase the embarrassingly low influenza vaccination rates amongst healthcare workers in this country. They have successfully launched an internal HHS initiative that seeks to increase vaccination rates amongst HHS health care workers. They are now beginning to develop and implement a plan for the 2008-2009 season that raises awareness and encourages vaccination to the broader external health care worker community. I ask that each of our OPHS program and regional offices please email Rosa and Ray with ideas and strategies for consideration to increase influenza vaccination rates (including thinking about partners and grantees who could help spread the word to the healthcare community.) I know Rosa and Ray may have reached out to all of you previously but I want to make sure we provide them with all of our support. Thank you. Anand K. Parekh, MD MPH Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health (Science & Medicine) Office of the Secretary/OPHS, DHHS ph: (202)-260-2873 mailgate.prime.tcrhcc.org made the following annotations --------------------------------------------------------------------- NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments it may contain, is intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) named above. It may contain information that is protected, privileged, or confidential and it should not be disseminated, distributed, or copied to persons not authorized to receive such information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you think you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately ---------------------------------------------------------------------

[text/html]