If you are navigating using only the keyboard or using an assistive device and need help, visit our Instructional page for alternative views and navigation.


You Can:


You cannot use this Internet application to file for:

  • Medicare coverage only (e.g., you are working and do not intend to file for monthly Social Security benefits at this time).
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.
    Note: While you cannot use this Internet application, you can begin the process of applying for SSI disability benefits for an adult or child by completing an online Disability Report.
  • any type of monthly Social Security benefit other than retirement, disability or spouse's benefits.

    Note: However, if you are disabled, you can begin the process of applying for disabled widows or widowers benefits, or benefits as an adult child by completing an online Disability Report before you contact us.
  • Railroad Retirement benefits. If you, your spouse or your former spouse receive, or are eligible to receive a pension or annuity from the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) and you have not yet discussed the effects of filing for Social Security benefits with a RRB representative, you should contact the RRB before completing this application. You can locate the nearest RRB field office on their web site at www.rrb.gov or call their toll-free number at 1-800-808-0772.
  • An appeal of a decision about a disability claim. However, if your application for disability benefits was denied recently, you can request an appeal. If you do, we will look at your case again. If it has been more than 60 days since you got our decision, you may still be able to request an appeal if you have a good reason for waiting. If you want to request an appeal, or you are not sure whether you should file an appeal or a new application, contact us for assistance before proceeding with your Internet application.

If you cannot use this application or you decide not to complete an application over the Internet, please call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), or visit a Social Security Office to make an appointment.



You can choose to have a representative help you when you do business with Social Security. We will work with your representative, just as we would work with you. For more information about your right to representation, view our publication, Your Right to Representation.

If you are acting as someone's authorized representative to do business with the Social Security Administration, you must first complete Form SSA-1696-U4 (Appointment of Representative). To obtain a copy of this form, as well as a comprehensive explanation of the 'Representative' process, visit our website titled Representing Claimants.


Additional Information:

If you need additional information, you may call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. If you are deaf or hard-of-hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.