[NIFL-WOMENLIT:2676] Special Project

From: Daphne Greenberg (ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 14:43:06 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:43:06 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:2676] Special Project

The National Coalition for Literacy is working on a special project to
document and disseminate examples of how groups are moving the Action
Agenda's access and resource priorities forward. We have collected stories
describing notable efforts, large and small, as a service to the field to
inspire and to motivate. We hope that these snapshots will highlight the
variety of activities underway in our field that contribute to the nation's
goal of a higher quality and more accessible adult literacy, language, and
lifelong learning service system.

The first three notable ideas are available at www.natcoalitionliteracy.org.
They include:

*The Adult Literacy Media Alliance sharing a notable idea on distance
learning

*The Plymouth Public Library's Literacy Program of Greater Plymouth offering
a notable idea on how to insure the basics

*Santa Clara County Library's Vision Literacy describing a notable idea on
health literacy

Please visit!

Best,

Dale Lipschultz, Summit Task Force Chair, National Coalition for Literacy
Literacy Officer, American Library Association

Jean Stephens, Director
The Center for Literacy Studies: The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

Edith Gower, Executive Director
National Alliance of Urban Literacy Coalitions

Cristine Smith, Deputy Director
National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy

Kathy Sikes, Director
Student Coalition for Action in Literacy Education, Chapel Hill, North
Carolina