National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 594] Re: Update on Women and Literacy list

Bertha Mo bertiemo at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 23:10:36 EDT 2006

I'm a bit concerned because I think that different folks subscribe to a list that is women focused. I'm pretty shy about responding to most lists. And I've been very encouraged by the gentle support I've received from you and others on the list.

Best,

Bertie

Daphne Greenberg <alcdgg at langate.gsu.edu> wrote: I am wondering how people on this list feel about the merging of the
Women and Literacy List with the Poverty, Race, and Literacy list? Any
reactions? Happiness? Disappointment? Concern? Excitement?
Daphne

>>> "Nguyen, My Linh" 10/18/06 11:37 AM >>>

Dear Discussion List subscribers,

As the National Institute for Literacy enters a new fiscal year,
we
have taken steps to streamline the way we deliver professional
development
to our discussion list members. A major change that will directly affect
you
is the merging of the Poverty, Race and Literacy List with the Women and
Literacy List starting November 6, 2006.

We will continue to provide access to discussion archives on our
website.

We have chosen to combine the two lists because we recognize
that
many of the issues that impact one group also affect the other group,
and
believe that many of the topics discussed on one list can
benefit
the other list. For that reason, we decided to combine the lists to
enhance
list members access to the latest ideas and information
available.
Race and gender issues often intersect, and it is most both practical
and
appropriate to have them intersect on one combined list.

We know that many members of our two lists, especially members
of
our Women's list, view the lists as safe havens where issues can be
raised
and discussed. We want you to know that we will continue to
respect
your input and will maintain the same high level of sensitivity and
respect
we have always shown our list members. In combining the two
lists,
Daphne Greenberg will serve as the moderator for the new combined list.
Her
experience with women's literacy has enabled her to moderate the women's
list with the right balance of sensitivity and insight that is necessary
for
such a list. And we know that in assuming the responsibility of the new
list, she will bring the same balance to the Poverty, Race, Women, and
Literacy list.

The Institute will be inviting current subscribers for both the
Poverty, Race Literacy List and the Women and Literacy List to the new
combined
Poverty, Race, Women and Literacy List. Once you receive the
invitation, you will need to confirm your subscription to the Poverty,
Race, Women and Literacy List.

We encourage you to be an active participant in the new list by
sharing your unique perspectives to help make the Poverty, Race, Women
and
Literacy List a dynamic resource for information and
professional
development.

My Linh Nguyen
Associate Director of Communications