National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 547] Re: The other: 2 tips

Daphne Greenberg ALCDGG at langate.gsu.edu
Tue Sep 5 15:12:07 EDT 2006

Andrea,
Thanks for these tips! Any tips for working with perpertrators of
abuse?
Daphne

>>> Andrea Wilder <andreawilder at comcast.net> 9/5/2006 9:28:25 AM >>>

Colleagues--

Two tips for working with abused students (these are part of my own
thinking on abuse).

1) Find out what the student wants to achieve in her life, what
role
she sees occupying, where living, people around her, kind of job, and
so on.

2) Then find out how much this will cost to achieve, so the
student
can put a number of her dreams.

I have worked with these two ideas for many years. I had to find for

myself what I wanted, and then I had to put a money figure on it.

It took me a LONG while to find the right people who could give me the

advice i needed to get my plans in shape--many years. I seem to know
many good hearted people who can't think their way out of a paper bag,

so it wasn't easy.

I remember doing one exercise with students at their school--it used
collage and pictures from magazines--which focused on the concrete.I
made a collage for myself, thinking i was being helpful to the
students, maybe I was, let's hope, but I STILL REMEMBER the collage I

made for myself. so this is a very important exercise.

Andrea