National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 508] Re: RD: Bridges to Learning

Muro, Andres amuro5 at epcc.edu
Tue Aug 22 11:22:14 EDT 2006

Kate:

I agree that ideally, the ABE teacher should lead creative writing
activities. In my experience, though, our teachers have difficulty doing
so and tend to revert to the traditional academic model. We do extensive
training with them but they put pressure on themselves and feel pressure
from students to focus on the traditional stuff. We hired a creative
writing instructor and she has been able to create the creative writing
spaces. What we want to do is have her train the ABE teachers to be able
to create those spaces.

In our program we have the reverse of what you describe. We want
teachers to be as non-traditional as possible. The teachers and the
students have difficulty adjusting to the non-traditional environments.
So we must work with them extensively to help them adjust to the
cultural shock of non-traditional classes. I think that there has to be
a balance where the academic stuff and the real life, the contextual,
the content, the creative, etc come together. I know some teachers that
are great at doing this. However, we are trying to do this in 20
different classes at the time.

Andres