National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 395] Re: women and literacy reading group

Andrea Wilder andreawilder at comcast.net
Tue Jun 27 21:31:38 EDT 2006

I checked on amazon.com and there it is. Not the Dorothy Sayers one.

Andrea

On Jun 27, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Susan Hayden wrote:

> Catherine MacKinnon, "Are Women Human?' this book is not listed in

> Books-In-Print, therefore it must be out-of-print.

> The group may be interested in reading the following book:

> When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of

> Witnessing

> Abuse by Lundy Bancroft --

> Library Journal

> (August 1, 2004; 0-399-15110-9; 978-0-399-15110-1)

> The author of Why Does He Do That? (see above) counsels battered

> mothers on

> how to rebuild their lives and heal the damage done to their victimized

> children. Especially notable are suggestions for repairing the

> mother/child

> relationship and valuable and shrewd advice on dealing with abusive

> fathers

> and the social institutions that impact their lives. (LJ 4/1/04).

> Copyright

> 2004 Reed Business Information.

> A book title dealing with women and numeracy that is affordable may be

> more

> difficult for interested persons to find.

> Susan Hayden

> Adult Services Library Consultant

> West Virginia Library Commission

> 1900 Kanawha BLVD, East

> Charleston, WV 25305

> haydens at wvlc.lib.wv.us

> 304-558-3978, ext. 2014

> FAX: 304-558-1612

> "What makes a book great, a so-called classic, is its quality of always

> being modern, of its author, though he be long dead, continuing to

> speak to

> each new generation."

> - Lawrence Clark Powell

>>> out

>>> when/how to run it, who will run it, and which book/article we all

>>> want

>>> read. Ideally, I would like to focus on our women and numeracy issue

>>> right

>>> now, because we have a guest facilitator who can only be with us for

>>> the

>>> next two weeks. I know that many of you have expressed an interest in

>>> discussing numeracy on this listserv with an expert, so here is our

>>> chance. However, if people want to pursue a the idea of a book

>>> discussion

>>> now, I am open to that.

>>> Daphne

>>> I have had experience. Not online however it can't be to difficult.

>>> I'll look for this book.

>>> Bonnie Lash Freeman

>>> Director - Training/Special Projects

>>> National Center for Family Literacy

>>> 325 W Main St Suite 300

>>> Louisville, KY 40202

>>> 502 584 1133 ext 115

>>> bfreeman at famlit.org

>>> Subject: [WomenLiteracy 328] Re: women and literacy reading group

>>> Bonnie et al,

>>> The first book I'd like to suggest is by Catherine MacKinnon, "Are

>>> Women

>>> Human?' I've talked about this book on the list before, as I bought

>>> it

>>> after hearing MacKinnon, but I would like to read it WITH other

>>> people.

>>> has anyone here had experience with leading a book discussion? She

>>> is a

>>> lawyer with an international clientele, very lucid speaker, very

>>> thoughtful, very respectful of audience questions.

>>> What do others think?

>>> Andrea