National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 389] Re: data literacy

mev at litwomen.org mev at litwomen.org
Tue Jun 27 12:06:34 EDT 2006

On Tuesday, June 27, 2006, at 10:20 AM, Judy Ward wrote:

> Numeracy is also an empowerment issue for women. It is more than school

> math, computation, or solving the word problems at the end of the

> chapter.

> Is it knowing how to function in society? What do you think?

Judy
I especially like this observation. and with this "knowing how to
function" I want to go back to a question asked in a previous posting
..."... do you have any suggestions for dealing with their wrong
answers- ways that will
not return them to their silence?"

One of the things I've learned through my colleagues at TERC & SABES
and through the EmPower program is that there is more than one right
way to arrive at an answer. Sure, there may only be one answer -- but
exploring all the ways to get to that answer can help with learners'
ability to "know what they know" -- help to create a confidence in
experimentation, critical thinking, multiple solutions, and
problem-solving. Now there may be times when using some options may get
the wrong answer -- but this can be an important part of the process as
well. And some options may be more complicated (convoluted) or more
time consuming than others -- but the answer will still be the same.
Isn't that sometimes the way life is??

We all learn and do differently and I think being able to do this
through numeracy can help us to not be so anxious about math. sometimes
I think the pressure about math is that we have been made to believe
that there is only one right answer and only one way to get to it...so
if you don't do it right, then you fail. and i think that's how women's
lives get presented to us as times as well. Having the assertiveness,
and confidence (and the "permission to make mistakes and start over)
helps us all to function in our various contexts. I think "literacy"
has tended to show how this can happen through reading and writing --
but pursuing these "life lessons" through numeracy - especially for
women -- can lead to some very powerful results.
Mev

WE LEARN
Women Expanding: Literacy Education Action Resource Network
www.litwomen.org/welearn.html

Mev Miller, Ed.D., Director
182 Riverside Ave.
Cranston, RI 02910