National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 385] violence

Judy Ward j.e.ward at cox.net
Tue Jun 27 08:37:58 EDT 2006

As Kate observed, "some women who have survived violence in their past or
are dealing with it in their present, have learned not to express an
opinion, because they have not been allowed to have opinions, or have had
dire consequences to expressing an opinion."

As a seventh grade teacher I did work with children who were from homes
where violence and abuse existed. Unfortunately it is too common. Also, I
have known women who experienced and survived violence and I know that
violence destroys their self confidence and inhibits their ability for
social interaction. The fear and mistrust inherent in a situation such as
this is a block for learning and it is very difficult to over come.
Including her in a group discussion will probably not work at first but
might over time.

How do others handle this situation?

Judy

Judy Ward, Ed.D.
6886 Young Farm Avenue
Springdale, AR 72762
Phone: 479.361.2223
Fax: 479.361.2223
Email: j.e.ward at cox.net

Arkansas Adult Numeracy Campaign
Teaching Mathematics Effectively to Adult Learners