National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 332] Numeracy

Daphne Greenberg alcdgg at langate.gsu.edu
Sun Jun 18 22:07:52 EDT 2006

I would like to extend a very warm welcome to Judy Ward who has graciously agreed to be a guest facilitator on this listserv starting today through Friday June 30th. The focus of her guest faciliation is on adult numeracy and women.
To help us get started, she invites us to think and share (if comfortable) answers to any of the following:
How do you feel about math?
Do you remember any situations both in and out of school that affected how you feel about math?
Which mathematical topics/concepts would you say are your best?
Which mathematical topics/concepts would you say are your most difficult?
Do you or have you experienced "math anxiety"?

If you have or currently teach your students math, how would you answer the following:
How do most of your students feel about math?
Have they ever shared any situations both in and out of school that affected how they feel about math?
Which mathematical topics/concepts would you say are the easiest for your students to learn?
Which mathematical topics/concepts would you say are the most difficult for your students to learn?
Have any students shared with you that they experience "math anxiety"?

Here is her introduction:

Previous to earning my doctorate in adult education, I was a seventh grade mathematics teacher. Many of my students had experiences that manifested as mathematics anxiety. I found that by changing my teaching techniques to a more hands-on and visual approach and teaching for understanding, the anxiety level decreased drastically. About ten years ago I stumbled into adult education and found there was a need for my expertise. I am in the second year of a two year term as President Elect of the Adult Numeracy Network (ANN). ANN is dedicated to upgrading mathematics instruction for the adult learner.

If you have any friends/colleagues who you think may be interested in joining us, please invite them to join us by subscribing at:

Daphne Greenberg
Assistant Professor
Educational Psych. & Special Ed.
Georgia State University