National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 246] Day of Silence

Daphne Greenberg ALCDGG at langate.gsu.edu
Tue Apr 4 12:51:32 EDT 2006

Some of your students may be interested in the following:

On April 26, students around the country will take part in a Day of Silence, a program sponsored by the Gay and Lesbian Student/Educators Network (GLSEN). The Day of Silence began in 1996 at the University of Virginia with students determined to raise awareness about the ways in which lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students were silenced by prejudice based on gender identity and sexual orientation. In the last decade, students at thousands of schools have taken part by remaining silent for a day.
Riley Snorton, a member of NCTE's Board of Directors is a staff member at GLSEN. He notes, "This is the tenth anniversary of the Day of Silence and it looks like more students than ever will be participating this year. This is already the largest student-led action on LGBT issues that happens in this country and has ever happened in American history. I think it is so important that we draw attention to the kinds of harassment and silencing that students face regularly in schools because of their gender identity and expression."
You can find a resource manual, posters and lots of information at the Day of Silence website at www.dayofsilence.org.
Daphne