National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 235] Re: WE LEARN Conference

Andrea Wilder andreawilder at comcast.net
Sat Mar 25 09:04:59 EST 2006

Ujwala,

We very much need men to come, what we can do is keep on a woman's
agenda. I think this would give women a chance to work on reaching
-out-to-men skills. I wonder if we need to be able to have women's
discussions in the presence of men. What do you think?

Andrea

On Mar 24, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Andrea Wilder wrote:

> Ujwala--

> We're probably keeping men out. Also, women are devalued, so going to

> a woman's conference would I think be seen as slightly icky and

> crossing a line.. Hard to say this, but I think this is true.

> Also, as women we tend to pull into shells in "mixed" situations.

> There are MEN on this list, so maybe they will speak up--THANKS SAMUEL

> for asking your question! You kind of opened a floodgate!!

> Andrea

> On Mar 24, 2006, at 9:57 AM, Ujwala Samant wrote:

>> Andrea,

>> I have been thinking about something. Are conferences

>> with Women in the title perceived as different and

>> exclusive? I am sure all the men on this listserv work

>> with women and have research issues etc with women.

>> Why then do we see such few men at conferences that

>> look at one half of the population? Are we (as

>> women)keeping men's participation out when we organise

>> such conferences? Are we deliberately maintaining the

>> distance?

>> We see men at conferences with "Family Literacy",

>> "Children's literacy" etc in the title....

>> Just curious...

>> Regards,

>> Ujwala

>> --- Andrea Wilder <andreawilder at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Ujwala and Samuel--

>>> I thought about this topic deeply yesterday. I am

>>> so glad that Ujwala

>>> has said what she said, otherwise I'm like a voice

>>> crying in the

>>> wilderness, as scripture would have it.

>>> The language is different and meanings are

>>> understood differently by

>>> men and women. The "presentation of self" is

>>> different.

>>> I'm usually on the emotional/analytic side of

>>> discussions, and this is

>>> a different female way of responding in discussions.

>>> My impression is

>>> that the standard mode of discussion as experienced

>>> by men, and as put

>>> forward in psychology textbooks, is for

>>> emotions/analysis to be put

>>> at two ends of a spectrum. Men and women are then

>>> placed somewhere on

>>> this line.

>>> I have often/many times/some times been thought of

>>> as overly emotional

>>> and consequently not listened to by men. True

>>> story. That male way

>>> of listening lost me a bundle of money once.. The

>>> lawyer didn't listen

>>> to me, was surprised by an outcome, and had to admit

>>> he had been wrong.

>>> This has happened also on NIFL list servs. It's

>>> DEEPLY DEEPLY

>>> STUPID, especially in a field with many women, not

>>> to access women's

>>> way of seeing, observing, and concluding. I was

>>> once ridiculed for

>>> this by a man, and I had to deck him, verbally, to

>>> get him to listen to

>>> me. Fortunately, neither a job nor money nor

>>> romance hinged on this

>>> encounter.

>>> I just looked for an article(Chronicle of Higher Ed)

>>> about Laurel

>>> Ulrich, 67, a history scholar and now a university

>>> professor at

>>> Harvard--the top place in Harvard's academic

>>> hierarchy. She is

>>> married, has 5 children and grandchildren. She

>>> speaks as a woman,

>>> illustrating how by following a woman's way she made

>>> it to the top of

>>> the heap at the University just down the street from

>>> me. Example: she

>>> took her dissertation topic from the surrounding

>>> countryside of New

>>> Hampshire, because she didn't want to be away from

>>> her children. On

>>> one of my trips around the neighborhood I saw where

>>> she and her husband

>>> live, and I will write her a letter. Believe, me,

>>> she will immediately

>>> be asked for speeches on the women's lecture

>>> circuit.

>>> That's enough for now. Thanks, Ujwala, and thanks

>>> Samuel.

>>> Andrea

>>> more

>>> In a

> [...]