National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-PLI] Using NRS Data for Program Improvement

David Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Sun May 23 13:31:45 EDT 2004

To Larry Condelli:

Sandy Strunk posted a message to the NIFL-PLI list on May 10, 2004
from Larry Condelli, Managing Director in the Education and Human
Development Division of the American Institues for Research, leader of
the adult education team, and project director for the National
Reporting System, in which Larry asks:

"What data do you need that NRS does not collect?"

The context of this and other questions in that message was using data
for program improvement.

I have recently been asked by a practitioner -- and not for the first
time -- if there are valid and reliable assessments for measuring
computer literacy -- that is, basic computer competence and comfort.
These are skills needed to use computer-assisted instruction, to word
process writing and to search for information on a CD or on the Web.

My understanding -- Larry please correct me I am wrong -- is that
computer literacy is not an area which is ow measured through the NRS.
If it were, I am not sure we have valid, reliable, standardized
assessments. Do we?

Yet, I would argue that these skills are now as important to adult
learners as reading, writing and numeracy. They are required for many
jobs, and for participation in computer-based distance learning. Many
programs offer these skills because students have asked to learn them.
Programs, students, and employers wonder how programs are doing in
helping students learn these skills.

Can the NRS include these skills?

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net