National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-PLI] Using NRS Data for Program Improvement

Karen Gianninoto kgianninoto at msde.state.md.us
Thu May 20 14:31:32 EDT 2004

Data collection is an important aspect of any kind of program because it
allows us to focus our attention on improving the quality of service to our
students and provides a mechanism to acknowledge accomplishments and set
goals. In Maryland, we have a very accessible data system. All programs
have access to their data and to the statewide data anytime they need it.
The data helps decision making at local and state levels. Some of those
decisions center around the accuracy of the data collected. Other decisions
involve local program improvement plans and setting state targets for
performance. The data also holds the local and state programs accountable
for meeting the outcomes addressed in the grant application. At a state and
local level, the data can help programs determine the types of state
leadership activities that need to be developed and implemented to improve
program quality. In addition, the data can be used to inform the state
legislators about the needs in our state for additional funding. An example
of success in using the data was in analyzing the diploma success rate. It
was determined that goal setting was an area that needed to be addressed at
the local areas and that a data quality plan needed to be completed by some
programs. Those targeted programs received technical assistance on these
issues and the diploma retention rate has improved. There are weaknesses to
the data collection process. The NRS system does not collect all the data
on a student who is enrolled in more than one class. Therefore, learner
gains are missed. Teachers complain about the extra time it takes to
collect the information and that the information does not capture all the
accomplishments a student may make through the year. So there are some
financial and logistical barriers to collecting the NRS information.

Karen Gianninoto