[NIFL-4EFF:2137] Re: program level support for self-regulation

From: Joan Allen (joana@cbnn.net)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 12:00:17 EDT

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:00:17 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Joan Allen" <joana@cbnn.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2137] Re: program level support for self-regulation

In regards to Eileen's questions: I think your questions are ones of degree.
In the 'best of all worlds', the work that is done in the classroom and in
the program are cyclical and 1 feeds off of the other. One of the things
that we always strived for in my program was that the learner got the same
messages from us from the time they opened the door in the morning until the
time they walked out the door. This takes cooperation, hard work and lots of
communication between members of the staff and between director and staff
members. It worked very well for us and we felt like learner needs were met
and the staff stayed motivated. But, there were 2 important aspects that
contributed to the success. 1 was that EFF was our framework- our guide in
all we did. Using the standards in the classroom, in our staff meetings, in
helping us to make decisions, in deciding what direction the program should
go in, we always went back to the EFF framework and program practices of
being purposeful, contextual, and constructivist. We soon got rid of parts
of our program that were not meaningful to the student so I believe it
helped us to be more focused and achieve more meaningful outcomes. Number 2
aspect is that the classroom is the core of what is happening in your
program. If the classrooms are not purposeful and contextual and
constructivist, then it would be hard to carry that in to the rest of the
program activities, but program support is what facilitates teachers being
able to teach in that manner. When the programs practice "PCC" it makes it
so much easier for the teachers to do it because the thinking- the vision-
begins to permeate the whole picture. So, it is very cyclical. I do think a
teacher can do EFF in his/her classroom without program support but they
would probably want to get support from other areas outside the program.
There are teachers who are doing it on their own and doing a marvelous job
of using the standards and program practices as much as they can with great
results. It's just way more effective with the whole program working
together.

Joani Allen
Othello, Washington