[NIFL-4EFF:1994] Re: EFF and GED classrooms

From: Sylvia Provenski (SylviaProvenski@nald.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 13:22:57 EST

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:22:57 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvia Provenski <SylviaProvenski@nald.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:1994] Re:  EFF and GED classrooms

Jeffery,
Thank you very much for you response.  I can see how an exercise like this
can really bring students together.  So often they feel like they are the
only ones in their community that need to upgrade and/or complete their
high school diplomas.  When they hear all the other stories they realize
that they are part of a larger community with the same needs and wants. I
do have a copy of the Master student.
Thanks,
Sylvia P.

At 10:43 PM 26/01/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Sylvia
>
>I'm not really sure where it came from, I was introduced to this by the
>Dean at a former college where I taught.  Basically, I start out the
>discussion by asking the students to take some paper and answer the
>following question.  "Why did you decide to come to school?"  I tell the
>students that I will give them two minutes to write their answers at which
>time I would like ask for volunteers to read their answers aloud to the
>rest of the class.  After which, I ask them to then write, in reference to
>their previous answer "Why is this important to you?"  The process is
>repeated with the follow-up question being the same "Why is this important
>to you?"  The group dynamics is always differen, but generally if I am
>reassuring, and the students feel that they are in a safe environment,
>they will share their stories.  Most of the time I cannot even get to the
>5th why as the stories are so personal. Some people become very emotional,
>but ALWAYS it has turned out to be a positive experience.  People share,
>bond, sympathize, and a group of strangers become aquainted and
>become...my class!  I become their teacher!
>
>There are so many interesting anetodecal moments I could share with this,
>but generically I have found that after the first round of "sharing", more
>students decide to open up and read what they have written.  Even if I am
>on the 3rd Why, I will ask the student to go back and read their answers
>from the begining of the first question. I usually couple this with asking
>the students to use this as a part of their journal, including this in
>part of an essay in which they use "Discovery" and "Intention"
>statements.  (Discovery and Intention statements are introduced and used
>in the Master Student by Ellis)
>
>As I mentioned this allows students to go beyond the superficial, and can
>be the first step in the goal setting process.  The experience clarifies
>the purpose for learning for individuals, and the shared experience seems
>to heighten awareness and resolve for the rest of the class as
>well.  Subsequently, the students, now stating why they want to learn, can
>focus on what they want to learn, setting short and long term goals.
>
>I hope this helps, perhaps someone will find the original lesson plan and
>author for this.  I'm not sure if the "5 Whys" was originally designed for
>use as part of a goal setting process, but it is a very powerful tool, and
>experience.  This excercise seems to fit well in the EFF goal setting process.
>
>Jeffery Parham
>ABE/GED Instructor
>Pre-College Studies and Academic Support Program
>Highline Community College
>2400 S. 240th St. P.O. Box 98000  MS 19-1
>Des Moines, WA 98198-9800
>Tel. 206-878-3710  Ext. 6210
>Fax 206-870-4852

NTMail K12 - the Mail Server for Education