[NIFL-4EFF:1952] Re: EFF Friendly Materials

From: Jenny Ransone (JRansone@mail.jcpl.lib.in.us)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 09:38:19 EST

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:38:19 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jenny Ransone <JRansone@mail.jcpl.lib.in.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:1952] Re: EFF Friendly Materials

Hi everyone,

For those of you who were unable to read the posting by Ronna Spacone
regarding EFF Friendly materials, I have reposted it below.

Jenny

Ronna wrote:

On January 1, Susan Finn Miller wrote, "Are there certain textbooks or
materials that list members have found to be particularly EFF friendly for
ESOL instruction?  for ABE?  What suggestions or cautions would you offer
regarding the use of published materials?"

Good question Susan! Here are three texts that combine theory and practice
and I think are based on the same principles for teaching/learning as EFF.
None of these books, in my opinion, are meant to stand alone instructionally
but to enrich what's going on and being used otherwise. I don't currently
teach, in a classroom, but I'd draw on these resources if I did:

1. "The Home Project Writing Curriculum Guide" edited by Jereann King. The
Home Project brought six practitioners together to create a learner-centered
curriculum that would promote positive cross-cultural relationships while
teaching essential skills. The Guide provides a variety of lessons that
teachers are encouraged to adapt to their own circumstances, goals and
learners' needs. Published by Peppercorn Books and Press
(www.peppercornbooks.com).

2. "Many Literacies: Modules for Training Adult Beginning Readers and
Tutors" by Marilyn Gillespie. The primary focus of this handbook is on
setting the stage for participation in reading, writing, and planning rather
than on one skill taught alone. Steps/guidelines describe how to build a
community of learners, set personal goals for learning, and use life
experiences to write/publish learner generated materials. Published by the
Center for International Education, University of Massachusetts
(www.umass.edu/cie).

3. "Civic Participation Sourcebook" edited by Andy Nash. A number of EFF
field development partners contributed to this. The Sourcebook tells 20
stories about civic participation. It includes a wide range of issues from
finding a class project and goal-setting to meeting with legislators and
advocating for adult education funding. Preparation activities accompany
each article.  Published by the New England Resource Center and available
online at (http://www.nelrc.org).

I hope folks continue to share EFF friendly books, activities, and lessons
you've discovered and developed. It's my understanding that Andy Nash (EFF
National Center) and Marilyn Gillespie (EFF Assessment Consortium) are also
looking for resources like this to consider for an "EFF Teaching and
Learning Toolkit" they are creating together. The toolkit, which is in the
beginning stage of research/development, will provide resources (tools,
examples, guidance) to help the field implement EFF.

Happy new year,
Ronna

Ronna G. Spacone
LINCS EFF Special Collection Coordinator
ronna.spacone@ed.gov