Date:         Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:46:51 -0800
Sender:       ImageJ Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Wayne Rasband <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: volume quantification of 3D rendered images

I am working on a plugin, similar to Glen McDonald's Cavalieri macros and John Russ' stereology plugin (both for NIH Image), that will allow the size of volumes in a stack to be estimated by counting points on grids. Here are some URLs with information: Cavalieri Macros for NIH Image: ftp://rsbweb.nih.gov/pub/nih-image/user-macros/ Stereology plugin for NIH Image: ftp://rsbweb.nih.gov/pub/nih-image/plug-ins/Ster__DropIns.hqx Introduction to Stereology: http://www.liv.ac.uk/fetoxpath/quantoxpath/stereol.htm Stereologer : http://www.stereologer.com/Stereo_Exec.html 3D counting: http://nervenet.org/papers/3DCounting.html MCID Stereology Module: http://imaging.brocku.ca/products/stereology.htm "Unbiased Stereology" : http://www.2spi.com/catalog/books/book113.html "Practical Stereology": http://search.rapra.net/publications/en/pt61an.asp -wayne >Dr. Abramoff and ImageJ list readers, > >I am sorry my question wasn't specific enough. I am growing tumors and >treating >them in an artificial skin model. The malignant cells are visualized with GFP >using confocal microscopy. I have been successful at rendering 3D images of >these tumors with ImageJ, but would like to calculate the volume associated >with the rendered image. Each tumor has a very different shape, so I cannot >just use a mathematical forumula for the volume of a sphere, etc. for all of >the samples. I am wondering whether ImageJ or another program can be used to >determine the actual volume (cubic microns) of an image it has rendered from a >stack of confocal images of the sample. From the confocal data, I know the xyz >diameters, however, given the complexity of the shape, any formulas for >standard 3D objects would be innacurate representations of the volume. Thank >you for your consideration of this problem.