Date:         Fri, 22 Nov 2002 23:21:59 -0500
Sender:       ImageJ Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Marguerite Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      need to de-interlace after switching to Jaguar

Hi, I am new to ImageJ. I am using it to study locomotion in running lizards. I have quicktime video clips that I have been converting to stacks (for subsequent measurements). These are from high-speed video, so each field (two fields in a frame) captures a different instant in time. I had no trouble opening the clips and converting to stack when I was using imageJ (v1.28) under Mac OS9.1. But when I changed to Mac OS 10.2 (Jaguar), suddenly my imported video came up with with lines of one field mixed with lines of an adjacent field so that the image is blurred and requires de-interlacing (sorry I don't know the name for this problem). Again, this is not the original video file because when I open the clip in Quicktime, the movie is fine. First, why is this happening? Is there something different in the JAVA implementation for OS 10.2? Or is there a difference in the imageJ? (I can't remember if OS 10.1 was OK or not). The only way that I can successfully convert my quicktime movies now is to reboot in OS 9.2 and run the OS 9 version of image J to convert the stacks. I have to reboot because when I simply open the OS 9 version of ImageJ in Classic mode, I get a Movie_Opener out of memory error, no matter how much I increase the RAM memory allocation using the OS9 "get info" panel. If I'm stuck converting the stacks using OS 9, is there at least some way to get around this "out of memory error" so that I can at least do it from within Classic mode? Is there a better solution? What would actually be ideal is to find a way to do a batch conversion of the quicktime movies to TIFF stacks. (the conversion process is very slow, so some automation would save me a lot of time). I have looked at all the plugins, and also tried the plugin recorder, but the "Import > Quicktime Movie" commands are not recorded. Is there some other way to do this as a command line process? Or is there an alternate program that will convert movies to stacks in batch mode? Thanks in advance for your help. Marguerite ________________________________________________________________________ ______ Marguerite A. Butler Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology University of Tennessee 569 Dabney Hall Knoxville, TN 37996-1610 Phone: 865-974-7894 FAX: 865-974-3067