Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:41:24 +1000
Sender:       ImageJ Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Miss Marita Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Quantitation of pixel intensities

Hi Bryan, thanks for replying so promptly. Of course, the mean*area will give me exactly what I want. Thanks. With the division though, if I divide an image that is very bright, it represents the total fluorscence of the cell (the average pixel intensity is say around 200) and I divide that by the same image but one that represents a slice of the cell, therefore is a lot less bright (say average pixel intensity is around 10), I still get basically a two toned (black and white) image, I've lost all the grey scale. The clincher was when I divided the same image by itself (therefore each pixel in the resulting image should equal one) I should have got either a totally white or a totally black image(whatever one was supposed to equal). However, this wasn't the case. I still got a mixed black and white image that looked exactly how my sample images looked. It didn't seem to matter what I divided, I got the same resulting image. It just had me a bit baffled. Anyway, I should get the data I need from the pixel mean*area so thanks for you help. Regards, Marita