Date:         Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:35:12 +0200
Sender:       ImageJ Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Christian Lutz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Developer Papers

Hello, Thank you for you help. Now, I got some perspektive how everything fits together. And I will work with it some time. best wishes Christian Am 20.08.2008 um 11:49 schrieb Albert Cardona: > Hi Christian,, > > > >>>> - Is there a way to access any kind of version control / or is >>>> the only access via downloading last stable version code? >>>> ( currently, read access would be enough ) >>> >>> >>> We have setup one: ImageJA at http://repo.or.cz/w/imageja.git/ , >>> which is perhaps best used as a submodule of fiji (web: http://pacific.mpi-cbg.de/ >>> and repository: http://pacific.mpi-cbg.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fiji.git;a=summary >>> ) >> >> So what would you recommend?, Fiji repository or ImageJA repository >> for developing ImageJ? I saw that Wayne merged his code into the >> ImageJA repo. >> Are there any major differences between ImageJA and ImageJ (except >> the applet) on the desktop Version? >> I think Fiji isn't the right place for us, because it is more >> designed for the end-user of imagej and not for the developer of it. >> What is your opinion? > > > > > ImageJA has its own git source code repository. Fiji has a separate > one. > Then, inside Fiji, ImageJA's git repository is registered as a > submodule, like a dependency. > > Tinkering with ImageJ's source code is easiest with ImageJA's git > repository: see for example the wiki page on topic branches: > > http://pacific.mpi-cbg.de/wiki/index.php/Git_topic_branches > > You'll realize ImageJA has a lot of topic branches: we experiment > with it all the time. See the full list of pushed branches at the > bottom of this page, where it says "heads": > > http://repo.or.cz/w/imageja.git/ > > For example, the head named "fiji" is a derivative branch, always > synchronized with the master branch, which we use as the kernel for > Fiji. > Using git you can easily diff both branches. The main differences > are at the Menus.java class, which we have flexibilized. Now we can > insert plugin menu items anywhere in the menus from a plugins.config > file. > There are ZERO fundamental differences between ImageJ and ImageJA on > the desktop. > > As for general development: I do not use Eclipse, neither NetBeans. > I use shell+screen+ViM. For those that use Eclipse, though, there > are git plugins for it. I don't know about the state of NetBeans in > relation to git. > > Fiji has been created to make ImageJ + plugins trivial for end users > (via self-contained packages, see http://pacific.mpi-cbg.de/wiki/index.php/Downloads > ), while having a full source code repository (ImageJ + plugins) > available within a version control system, for best ease of > development. So Fiji targets both: users and developers. > > Albert > > -- > Albert Cardona > http://www.mcdb.ucla.edu/Research/Hartenstein/acardona