Date:         Sat, 11 May 2002 11:02:47 +0200
Sender:       ImageJ Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Dr. Michael D. Abramoff" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: interference filter plugin

I agree that it would be very useful to have an SI (Spectrum/Intensity) 'image' conversion function. You could then use a kind of specrtal thresholding to do what you want to do. Foley (2nd edition) Computer Graphics stated that there is a n-to-1 mapping of spectral distribution to color, which may complicate the design of such a function. I imagine it has been tackled in industrial image recognition (differentiating good/bad apples by color spectrum, etc.) I hope you hear about something useful somewhere. I am interested, but right now am putting all my spare time into my real-time renderer. Michael Abramoff _____________________________________________________________________________________ Michael Abramoff, MD, PhD Dept. of Ophthalmology, Room 4A65, Vrije Universiteit University Hospital, 1117, de Boelelaan, 1080 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands [log in to unmask] Image Sciences Institute, Room E01.334 University Medical Center Utrecht, 100, Heidelberglaan, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands [log in to unmask] _____________________________________________________________________________________ ----- Original Message ----- From: F Javier Diez Guerra To: [log in to unmask] Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2002 9:59 AM Subject: interference filter plugin Dear Martin, I am not looking for a plugin that substitutes for a physical filter. Imagine that you have captured beautiful fluorescence frames from GFP-fusioned protein with a color camera. In addition to bright green stained cells, you also observe that most cells have an orange-yellowish staining because of a treatment with a protein kinase inhibitor that shows some fluorescence. In order to remove the orange background staining, I understand that the best approach is to use a narrow-band emission filter in the cube. This is something that we definitely will try once we get such filter. In the meantime, we have these beautiful time-lapsed images that we would like to enhance. If the background color were red instead of orange, we all would consider appropriate to separate RGB channels and then pick the green one. However, RGB channel separation does not render proper background removal in this case. So my question: Is there any way (or plugin) of post-processing such images to remove the orange background while maintaining the green signal? Thanks,