Date:         Wed, 1 May 2002 09:29:50 -0400
Sender:       ImageJ Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Kurt De Vos <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: converting RGB stacks to 8 bit color

Hi, I understand. I also made a similar plugin as you are posting here, and that method works fine. Just a line on why I actually want to convert these stacks to 8bit as it might be of interest for others: Powerpoint seems to import movie files made with the avi writer plugin only when the original stack is 8bit, and causes a crash when the originating stack was RGB. Thanks for the help. Kurt > -----Original Message----- > From: ImageJ Interest Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On > Behalf Of Wayne Rasband > Sent: April 30, 2002 23:26 > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: converting RGB stacks to 8 bit color > > > >Would it also be possible to extract the lut I get from the first > >image and apply that to all the images (since they don't > vary to much > >this is probably OK) and then make a stack? > > This wouldn't be easy. For each pixel in each image you would > have to find which of the 256 colors in the LUT is the > closest color match. > > Here is a plugin that uses the method suggested by Greg Joss. > It converts the RGB stack to a montage, converts the montage > to 8-bit color, then convertes the montage back to a stack. > > -wayne >