Skip to content
Social Security Online
Representative Payee Program
Representative Payee Program Home SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Fee For Service Fact Sheet

Organizational Payee

Become an Organizational Payee
Training for Organizational Payees
Guide for Organizational Payees
Organizational Best Practices
Fee for Service Fact Sheet

Individual Payees

Guide for Individual Payees

Beneficiary Information

Beneficiaries Who Have a Payee

What Is A Fee-For-Service Payee?

A qualified organization that:
  • Submits a SSA-445 application to collect a fee to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and
  • Is authorized in writing by SSA to collect a fee as payment for providing representative payee services.

The fee is collected from the beneficiary’s monthly Social Security and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

Individuals who serve as payees are not allowed to collect a fee for performing payee services.

How Does Your Organization Qualify to Collect a Fee?

To qualify as a FFS payee, your organization must:
  • Be a state or local government agency, OR
  • Be a community based, non-profit social service agency that is bonded and licensed (providing licensing is available) in the state in which you serve as payee.

In addition, your organization must:

  • Regularly provide representative payee services to at least five beneficiaries,
  • Not be a creditor of the beneficiary, and
  • Submit a SSA-445 application to collect a fee to SSA and be authorized in writing by SSA to collect a fee.

How Can Your Organization Apply to Be Authorized As A FFS Payee?

Your organization must complete a form SSA-445, Application to Collect a Fee for Payee Services and submit the form with the supporting documentation to your local Social Security office.

The SSA-445 asks for:

  • Your employer identification number;
  • Your organization’s mission statement and service area including the zip codes, towns or counties served;
  • A list of beneficiaries you already serve (if applicable) including their name, address and social security number;
  • A statement as to whether your organization currently charges or collects any fees for payee services;
  • The name and signature of your director or his/her designee;
  • Proof of tax exempt status under Section 501(C) of the Internal Revenue Code;
  • A complete copy of your organization’s current bond/insurance policy;
    • The minimum bond amount is based on the amount of money you handle for SSA/SSI beneficiaries,
    • The bond must cover embezzlement or theft by officers/owners and employees,
    • The bond must show SSA as an insured party, and
  • A copy of your state license that allows you to provide services within the state--if required within the state.

You must receive written authorization from SSA before you collect a fee.

How Much Can An Authorized FFS Organization Collect for Its Payee Services?

Effective December 2007, FFS organizations can collect the lesser of 10% of the combined Social Security and SSI monthly payment or $35 from the beneficiaries. For beneficiaries determined by SSA to have a drug or alcohol condition, the monthly fee is the lesser of 10% of the combined monthly payment or $68. SSA must authorize the higher $68 fee. Each year, SSA sends a letter to FFS payees notifying you of any fee increase due to our annual Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA).

When can your organization collect a fee?

Your organization can charge the beneficiary a fee for any month in which:

  • You are authorized in writing by SSA to collect a fee, AND
  • You are the payee of record and the beneficiary receives a Social Security and/or SSI payment, AND
  • You provided payee services for that month.
Special rules apply when a retroactive payment is received by your organization—contact your local Social Security office.

When an Authorized FFS Payee Cannot Collect a Fee

An organization that has been authorized as a FFS payee cannot collect a fee from a beneficiary if any of the following apply:

  • No benefit payment is due for the month, even if a check is paid incorrectly;
  • ·
  • Your organization did not provide payee services for the month;
  • ·
  • Your organization performed payee services for fewer than five beneficiaries;
  • ·
  • SSA determined that your organization misused a beneficiary’s funds;
  • ·
  • Your organization is receiving compensation, including court/guardianship fees, for performing representative payee services for the individual;
  • ·
  • The beneficiary resides in a residential facility and only receives personal needs money from SSA; or
  • The beneficiary only has conserved funds.

Can A FFS Organization Be Reimbursed for Overhead Expenses?

No, a FFS organization cannot be reimbursed for overhead expenses (business operating expenses) such as office equipment, supplies, photocopying, postage, etc. These types of expenses are included in the fee collected from the beneficiary for representative payee services.

How Does SSA Monitor FFS Organizations?

Representatives from SSA will visit you six months after you are authorized as a FFS payee to make sure you understand your new responsibilities. SSA will also conduct annual certifications and site visits to be sure you continue to meet our FFS qualifications. SSA will contact you by telephone and send your organization a letter prior to our visit. You are also required to complete an annual accounting report for each beneficiary you serve showing us how you spent and saved their funds.

Contacting Social Security

You may continue to find the answers to many of your questions about the Representative Payee Program at . You may call our toll-free telephone number, 1-800-772-1213 (for the deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778). We can answer specific questions and provide information by automated phone service 24 hours a day.

We treat all calls confidentially. We also want to make sure you receive accurate and courteous service. That is why we have a second Social Security representative monitor some telephone calls.

More Information

Payee Publications

Frequently Asked Questions for:

Contact Us
    Portal to U.S. government agencies Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map
Last reviewed or modified Monday Jan 14, 2008
Need Larger Text?