Tips for Heart Health
- Don't smoke, and if you do, quit. Women who smoke are two to six times more likely to suffer a heart
attack than non-smoking women. Smoking also boosts the risk of stroke and cancer.
- Aim for a healthy weight. It's important for a long, vigorous life. Overweight and obesity cause many
- Get moving. Make a commitment to be more physically active. Aim for 30 minutes of moderate-intensity
activity on most, preferably all, days of the week.
- Eat for heart health. Choose a diet low in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol, and moderate
in total fat.
- Know your numbers. Ask your doctor to check your blood pressure, cholesterol (total, HDL, LDL,
triglycerides), and blood glucose. Work with your doctor to improve any numbers that are not normal.