Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  How do I correct my name or birthday listed on my Statement?
  My name or date of birth on the automatic Statement you sent me is wrong. How can I correct it?

We took your name and date of birth from the latest information on your Social Security number record. The information came from your original application for your Social Security number or the latest application you made for a replacement card or name change.

If this information is wrong, we need your help in correcting it. Perhaps you changed your name but haven't reported it to us yet. Maybe you need to correct the date of birth you originally gave us (some people made themselves older or younger when they got their cards). In either of these cases, you can download a copy of the Form SS-5. That is the form you use either to request a Social Security number card or to correct your record. The instructions on that page will tell you what to do and what information you need to send us.

Before a Social Security number is issued, Social Security must contact the office that issued your birth record to make sure the record you provide is valid.

This change affects people born in the U.S. who are one year or older and are either

  • applying for a Social Security number for the first time or
  • requesting a change in the date of birth shown in Social Security's records.

See our FAQ for  detailed information on how to change or correct the name on your Social Security card.

 If you already reported your name change and have a corrected card or if your name is simply misspelled, please call our toll-free number 1-800-772-1213. We may be able to correct the error without any further action on your part. You can download a Form SS-5 from our website.


  File Attachments
   • HTML document Application for Social Security Card
  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?