National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] Question - When to test?

Gustav Kocsis gkocsis at sfccnm.edu
Thu Nov 10 13:53:37 EST 2005

In our ESL program, we are using the CASAS. We have found that the CASAS
is a very poor indicator of level of English use skills. The CASAS tests
give us indicators such as "student knows how to fill out XYZ form" and
it doesn't tell us if the student can use the future tense or the simple
present or past tenses. We use CASAS for NRS reporting. The Best Plus
would be nice and we like it and at the same time we find it very
difficult to administer to a large number of students. We don't use the
CASAS for our GED program.

Gustav A. Kocsis
English as a Second Language Coordinator
Adult Basic Education
Santa Fe Community College
6401 Richards Ave
Santa Fe, NM 87508