Division of Health Assessment and Consultation
The Division of Health Assessment and Consultation (DHAC) is one of the divisions of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. The
Office of the Assistant Administrator oversees this division, as well as the other offices and divisions of ATSDR.
DHAC is responsible for:
- completing public health assessments for all sites on the National Priorities List, or Superfund List, within one year of the date they are proposed for inclusion;
- addressing petitions for public health assessments;
- providing consultation on health issues related to exposure to hazardous or toxic substances, and upon request, provide consultation, on the basis of available information, to the administrator of EPA and to state and local officials on health issues related to exposure to hazardous or toxic substances;
- determining the extent of danger to public health from a release or threatened release of a hazardous substance; and,
- conducting public health assessments of landfills or surface impoundments that pose a substantial potential risk to human health because of the existence or releases of hazardous substances, the magnitude of contamination with hazardous substances that may be the result of a release, or the magnitude of the population exposed to such release or contamination.
This page was last updated on August 27, 2001.
For more information, contact
1-800-CDC-INFO or e-mail
ATSDR Home |
About ATSDR |
News Archive |
Public Health Assessments
External Links Disclaimer |
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services