Skip Navigation

If I believe that I have been denied health or human services or treated in an unfair manner because of my race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, or religion, where do I go and what do I do?


Contact the  Office of Civil Rights (OCR) Regional Office that serves your state. Describe your situation in writing to the OCR regional staff and they will advise you and if necessary assist you in filing a civil rights complaint with the office or by referring you to the appropriate agency.  If OCR has the authority, they will investigate the complaint and issue a Letter of Findings to you and the alleged discriminating party. If the alleged discriminating health or human service agency has violated your civil rights, the Office for Civil Rights will seek an appropriate remedy in an attempt to rectify the discrimination.

The Office for Civil Rights is a civil rights office within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. As such, our jurisdiction is generally limited to complaints of discrimination filed against providers of health and social services who receive Federal financial assistance from the Department of Health and Human Services. The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) usually handles complaints against law enforcement agencies. You may wish to call DOJ at 1-800-869-4499.

For information on how to contact the Office for Civil Rights, you may want to visit:

Last Updated: 6/23/2008