NASA still images, audio files and video generally are not copyrighted. You may use NASA imagery, video and audio material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages.This general permission does not extend to use of the NASA insignia logo (the blue "meatball" insignia), the retired NASA logotype (the red "worm" logo) and the NASA seal. These images may not be used by persons who are not NASA employees or on products (including Web pages) that are not NASA sponsored. If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, especially including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services. If a NASA image includes an identifiable person, using the image for commercial purposes may infringe that person's right of privacy or publicity, and permission should be obtained from the person. Any questions regarding application of any NASA image or emblem should be directed to: Photo Department
Linking to NASA Web Sites
NASA Web sites are not copyrighted, and may be linked to from other Web sites, including individuals' personal Web sites, without explicit permission from NASA. However, such links may not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services.
NASA images may be used as graphic "hot links" to NASA Web sites, provided they are used within the guidelines above. This permission does not extend to use of the NASA insignia, the retired NASA logotype or the NASA seal.
Please be advised that:
1) NASA does not endorse or sponsor any commercial product, service, or activity.
2) The use of the NASA name, initials, any NASA emblems (including the NASA insignia, the NASA logo and the NASA seal) which would express or imply such endorsement or sponsorship is strictly prohibited.
3) Use of the NASA name or initials as an identifying symbol by organizations other than NASA (such as on foods, packaging, containers, signs, or any promotional material) is prohibited.
4) NASA does permit the use of the NASA logo and insignia on novelty and souvenir-type items. However, such items may be sold and manufactured only after a proposal has been submitted to and approved by a Visual Identity representative from the Public Outreach Division (Phone: 202/358-1750) in accordance with 14 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Part 1221. Permission is granted on a nonexclusive basis as it is not NASA's policy to grant exclusive rights to use any of the agency identities.
5) No approval for use is authorized by NASA when the use can be construed as an endorsement by NASA of a product, service or activity.
6) NASA emblems should be reproduced only from original reproduction proofs, transparencies, or computer files available from NASA Headquarters. Please be advised that approval must be granted by a Visual Identity representative from the Public Outreach Division ( Tel: 202/358-1750) before any reproduction materials can be obtained.