National Cholesterol Education Month
September is National Cholesterol Education
Month, a good time to get your blood cholesterol checked and take steps to
lower it if it is high. National Cholesterol Education Month is also a good
time to learn about lipid profiles and about food and lifestyle choices that
help you reach personal cholesterol goals.
High blood cholesterol affects over 65 million
Americans. It is a serious condition that increases your risk for heart
disease. The higher your cholesterol level, the greater the risk. You can have
high cholesterol and not know it. Lowering cholesterol levels that are too high
lessens your risk for developing heart disease and reduces the chance of having
a heart attack or dying of heart disease.
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
offers helpful resources to use during National Cholesterol Education
Get these public education booklets for yourself
and share them with family and friends.
For Persons with High Blood
Cholesterol Who Need to Lower It
Heart Healthy Recipes
For Community Group
Offer an educational session for groups who may
benefit from a better understanding of cholesterol. Use these teaching
Make cholesterol information booklets available
at your worksite, health center, community center, or HMO. Have plenty of
copies on hand for screening events.
Refresh your skills in cholesterol assessment
and management with:
For Bulletin Board
Use pages from these resources to create an
educational display in September:
Blood Cholesterol: What You Need to Know
- Tables and Text from
Guide to Lowering Your Cholesterol with Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC)
- What's Your Heart Disease Risk? - p.
- What's Your 10-Year Risk for a Heart
Attack? - pp. 10-12
- Drop Your Cholesterol with TLC - p.
- Setting Your LDL Goal - p. 9
- The TLC Diet: A Heart Healthy Eating Plan
- Sample Saturated Fat Intakes - p. 22
- Fiber Solutions - p. 28
- Fiber Really Counts - p. 29
- How to Make Heart Healthy Meals - pp.
- Losing Weight and Gaining Heart Health -
- How to Lower Your Calories on TLC - p.
- Choose the Foods That Help You Lose - pp.
- A Handy Guide to Calories Burned in
Common Activities - p. 46
- Benefits of Regular Physical Activity -
- Getting Active - p. 44
- Theme pages from the
Choices, Keep the Beat Calendar 2008, Available only in print
- For September, June, July, August, March
- September - Control Cholesterol
- June - A Great Time to Try New Activities
+ Gazpacho Soup Recipe
- July - Get Moving with Your Family
- August - Try Short Activity Bursts
- March - Eat Smart for Your Heart + Spicy
Baked Fish Recipe
- April - How Much Physical Activity Should
Your Family Get?