Social Security Fraud
The Social Security Administration considers reports of fraud very seriously. The Office of the Inspector General (OIG) investigates instances of Social Security-related fraud, waste, and program abuse. You may report instances of potential fraud directly to OIG by one of the following methods:
- call toll-free: 1-800-269-0271
- People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our toll-free TTY number, 1-866-501-2101
- send a FAX to: 410-597-0118
- use our online Fraud Reporting form at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/oig/hotline/index.htm
- write to: Social Security Administration OIG Hotline
P.O. Box 17768
Baltimore, Maryland 21235
Be sure to include as much of the following information as you can:
- name, address, telephone number, and Social Security number (SSN) of the person suspected of fraud. If the SSN is unknown, include as much identifying information as possible, e.g., the individual's date and place of birth, father's name, and mother's birth name;
- a complete description of the potential fraud incident;
- your name, address, and telephone number.
Without sufficient identifying information, OIG will be unable to act on your allegation.
The Medicare program is under the jurisdiction of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. If you would like to report an allegation of fraud, you may call their toll-free number, 1-800-447-8477 or see http://www.medicare.gov/FraudAbuse/HowToReport.asp for more options.