Welcome to the RPMS Electronic Health Record Website
These pages will introduce you to the Indian Health Service's new Electronic Health Record (EHR). The site is designed primarily for IHS, Tribal, and Urban (I/T/U) Indian health care facilities that are actively involved in implementation of the EHR, or are contemplating doing so in the near future. It provides a variety of information about the EHR product, as well as links to a number of helpful documents.
The Indian Health Service has long been a pioneer in using computer technology to capture clinical and public health data. The IHS clinical information system is called the Resource and Patient Management System (RPMS). Its development began nearly 30 years ago, and many facilities have access to decades of personal health information and epidemiological data on local populations. The primary clinical component of RPMS, Patient Care Component (PCC), was launched in 1984. The RPMS EHR graphical user interface represents the next phase of clinical software development for the IHS.
On this site we invite you to explore the following pages:
EHR Clinical Overview
- Learn the key capabilities of EHR as seen by the user in clinical practice.
EHR Technical Overview
- Learn how EHR relates to the rest of RPMS, and the technical and hardware specifications required to operate it.
EHR Preparation Documents and Resources
- Learn what facilities can do to begin the process of preparation for this new clinical technology.
RPMS EHR National TIU Templates - Download nationally approved TIU templates for EHR.
EHR Training - This page provides links to descriptions of the various training events that have been developed to assist facilities and their staff in preparing for EHR.
Patient Information Management System (PIMS)
- This page describes the new Scheduling and Admission/Discharge/Transfer (ADT) application for IHS.
- A number of recent EHR-related presentations are available for downloading or viewing from this page.
EHR Current Status
- Updated regularly, this page shares current information about the IHS EHR Program, including what enhancements are in development and what sites across the country are using EHR.
Key EHR Program Contacts
- Lists the people who can advise and consult with facilities and users on various aspects of EHR planning and implementation.
EHR Frequently Asked Questions
- A list of questions and answers about the EHR application and the changes it can bring to a health care facility.
- Through this page users and other interested persons can subscribe to an e-mail list that will provide opportunities for discussion and information sharing about EHR.